Thursday, June 18, 2009

Oil Painting???

This has been a week for taking care of business that was pushed to the back burner during the paint out last week; paying bills, ordering painting supplies, doing laundry....and the list goes on. None of these things are very "creative" but must be done none the less. I've been getting in some studio time a couple of hours a day and finished a small 6 x 6 oil painting.
Yes, you read it right....oil painting.

Evening Glow - Oil on Canvas - 6" x 6"

For years I've been a closet painter in the medium; I think it's time I came out. This is titled "Evening Glow". A little different from my watercolor style....but also similar in colors, use of lights, darks, and contrasts. The thought process is opposite from watercolor and, to me, a bit easier...being able to apply the light source last. Color mixing is much more difficult for me though; I like for colors to "make & mix" on the watercolor paper and that doesn't happen with oil...it's a deliberate mixing process from palette to canvas. Working in another medium gets me out of my comfort zone and pushes me to experiment more. A good week in the studio, don't you think?

No comments: