Sunday, December 20, 2009

Painting Commissions

I have a like/dislike relationship with accepting commission assignments for "home portraits".

I dislike: ....that I impose the stress of a deadline on myself.

I like: ....and am flattered to be the artist selected to capture their "special place"..to suspend time and provide a lasting remembrance for generations.

I dislike: ....the mental anguish and composition decisions I go through during the drawing and design phase. I'm reluctant to,(and usually don't), accurately depict the subject "exactly" as it is. I begin a list of mental complaints: I have very little to work with; it's a bad photograph; subject hasn't any character; the season is wrong; trees are growing in odd places. This dialog with myself can go on for several days.

I like: ....when I discontinue my "negative dialog" with myself and start to make a "connection". About half-way into the drawing and design phase, I begin to develop a "feel". When this happens, my composition and color decisions become easier; I'm working as if it's my own "special place".

I dislike: .... when I have to make decisions about certain elements in the final composition. Although I've been given full creative license, I want to honor all the important elements that may be important to my client.

I like: .... when I begin painting; it all comes together; composition, color, values, and the most important element of all....a sense of place.

I LOVE: .... that moment when I lay my brush down and consider my day's work as "well done".
I LOVE: .... the moment when I deliver the painting and see the joy on my client's face.
I LOVE: .... being an artist. painting. for others, for myself. It's what I do. It's who I am.

Fortunately, there's many more "likes" than "dislikes". Or I'd be doing something else with my life.

I completed this commission yesterday. I'll contact my client tomorrow and make arrangements for delivery. I think they'll be pleased.


"Brumley Boulevard" 9" x 12" Watercolor

No comments: