Thursday, November 5, 2009

DAY 1 - continued - Maui, Hawaii - Plein air

After painting in the Ma'alaea Harbor, I loaded up my gear and drove back to Lahaina town. This is an old whaling village near where we are staying. There are probably 100 places to set up and paint and it's hard to make a decision....fortunately, the available sunlight helps me to decide. The late afternoon sun put this ice cream store in "backlight" and the main street in bright light....a great composition that didn't need any "tweeking".

"Ice Cream Store" - 9x12 Watercolor

I nearly out-stayed my available light! I was so intent on capturing some of the detail of the ice cream store building and the time got away from me....I looked up and it was nearly sundown! By the time I got my gear packed up, it was almost dark! A long painting day...the harbor in the morning and the Lahaina in the afternoon - great start to my "plein air vacation"!

No comments: