Wednesday, November 4, 2009

DAY 2 - Maui, Hawaii - Plein Air!

Today, I wanted to paint in the "upcountry" of Maui. A local artist, Julie Houck, told me that the "upcountry" was a great place to paint! The drive time was almost an hour and I got a late start. (Breakfast on the patio of our condo was so nice! Chatting over coffee with my husband, his brother and wife was so relaxing....and I AM on vacation.....!)


9x12 - "Downtown Makaweo" Watercolor

Makaweo is called Maui's "Cowboy Town" - historically, it was the center of the ranching and farming area also know as "the upcountry" on the island of Maui. I was tempted to stop several times and set up my easel (the sugar cane museum & factory really caught my attention) but I was "on a mission"! I drove around in the town of Pa'ia (I hope I'll have time to go back before I go home) for about 30 minutes then continued on up to Makaweo. The "main street" (Baldwin Ave) is quaint with turn of the century, historic store fronts. Local art is popular here and there are several galleries. What a great day!


No comments: