Sunday, February 22, 2009

PAINT OUT IN OVILLA, TEXAS


Yesterday, 3 other painters and I traveled to the nearby town of Ovilla, Texas.  The historic downtown area has been around more than 100 years, and there are a couple of interesting store fronts with lots of character that just beg to be painted.  I settled on a rusty old tin building on Main Street, with a small antique store across the street in the background, and a building on my right casting a deep shadow rounds out the composition.  The wind was blowing about 30 mph straight out of the North....a bit chilly; 48 degrees but a clear blue sky.  I set up next to my SUV, using it as a "wind-break".   Not the best of conditions for plein air....but I've painted in worse! I'm just glad to get out of the studio and into the open air!
                                        "Downtown Ovilla, Texas"  11" x 14" Watercolor
     
I'd like to thank the owners of the building that was my subject today, Mr. & Mrs. John Sims.  They dropped by as I was finishing up and they were excited to see their building in my painting. They shared with me their vision of opening a business in the old building soon. Another "perk" of painting plein air gives me the opportunity to meet some very nice people.....!

No comments: